Flaming Heart Fifth Edition is a Blended Malt Scotch Whisky (meaning it consists of malt from different distilleries, but no grain whisky). It contains (percentages by volume):
- 27.1% 30 year-old Caol Ila from a refill American Oak Hogshead (ex-bourbon)
- 24.1% 20 year-old Clynelish from a “rejuvenated” American Oak Hogshead (ex-bourbon, scraped and re-toasted)
- 10.3% 7 year-old marriage of “Highland Malts” in New French Oak “Hybrid” barrel (oak barrel with new French oak heads)
- The malts are Clynelish, Teaninich, and Dailuaine
- 38.5% 14 year-old Caol Ila from a refill American Oak Hogshead (ex-bourbon)
Nose: Clear, crisp lemony peat. Oily, tart, and waxy. After a rest in the glass, there might be a hint of menthol.
Palate: Wow. Meaty/chewy, with lemon rind, tart lemon meringue pie. Nearly sparkles on the tongue. Elegantly smoky, with refined clean-burning peat smoke and sea breeze.
Finish: Medium-long. Lemon continues, with roasted chestnuts and spent campfire. Fades with very little bitterness.